Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Holla for Challah!

I belong to a gourmet club that gets together every other month for a gourmet feast and socializing. The intent behind g.c. is for people to learn how to cook/host/entertain for special and not so special occasions. Our group is very casual compared to some, we mostly like to get together to catch up with everyone's crazy lives. It was Courtney and my turn to host this month so we did a "breakfast at tiffanys" theme on Saturday morning. It was a lot of fun and we had fantastic food if I do say so myself. I wanted to share my favorite which was Challah french toast and buttermilk syrup....mm..mm..good! Challah (Hallah) is a Jewish bread that is thick, braided, and divine. Here is a pic of the bread as is, but the french toast is a recipe masterpiece. You can find it in a number of places but we got ours at Leslie's bakery in Holladay, highly recommended.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/challah-french-toast-recipe/index.html
They suggest a different syrup but the buttermilk syrup we used which is delish can be found here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Buttermilk-Syrup/Detail.aspx

Courtney was in the kitchen just working away like a madwoman






......as I was busy getting the table set


Well apparently Jen sensed my disappointment that our 2 most Audrey Hepburn look-alikish friends Dree and Mikell were not able to make it, so she brought me my own full size Audrey to make me feel better, she added a great touch ;)

Thanks for a great time girls!

6 comments:

kelliej said...

Seriously, you posted this at 2:22am? What the? Are you like super pregnant woman or what...every day that I get more tired I think you are stealing my energy somehow. GC was really cute, the french toast was AMAZING, especially the syrup, I could have had a little cup of that to drink. Also, the quiches were really good and everything looked so so cute! Have fun in Paris.

Leslie and Dave said...

I wish I was there! D, it looks amazing. Can't wait to see you tomorrow.

Becky said...

Cute prego belly!

Anonymous said...

What a fun idea! I've never even heard of that before. Breakfast at Tiffany's is one of my favorite movies. Okay, so you look DARLING pregnant. I never saw you pregnant with Kimball so I have nothing to compare it to. But I think you look great.

Anonymous said...

seriously, my A is HUGE!!!

Sunny said...

By the way, darling! I am so proud of you. I want to try the Challah! Where can I get it? (P.S. Are you home yet?)