Tuesday, August 12, 2008

So frank and innocent...

Well I knew the day was coming. You hear those stories and get the e-mail forwards of kids making embarrassing comments in public and you are found helpless in trying to delete what was really just said. There are those comments that are made at the cost of your own pride, and those that so viciously attack strangers though the intent is purely innocent. I experienced both in the last week. While picking up groceries a few days ago, my tummy was feeling a little unsettled. And well, I accidentally let one go. Or maybe not so accidentally I don't remember. Anyhow, Kimball's acute hearing did not bow in my favor. Next I knew, he let out a big darling smile while giggling, "mommy farted, ewww". I couldn't help but kind of laugh too because he was just so cute when he said it and who really cares about the one lady that might have heard, she was probably laughing too. But he really embarrassed me today at the checkout line when he had to go and attack a stranger. The man was definitely not just large, but extremely large. Unfortunately Kimball had to notice right as he was ringing up my items and just candidly stated, "this man has big tummy mommy" --wow!! What do you do in those instances? We both clearly heard it and we both ignored it. How awkward, I just didn't want to make it more awkward for the man by acknowledging the comment and reprimanding Kimball so I pretended it never happened and then tried to explain to Kimo in the parking lot that some things are not nice to say. Poor man. Feel free to share your own embarrassing "toddler funnies"

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

forget kimball....Denise, seriously!!! Have you ever in your life, held a fart in!?!

Sunny said...

One time at Home Depot we asked a guy to help us. When he turned around Ellie FREAKED out. She started screaming, running away, etc. He had long hair, a beer gut, a beard, etc. It was very embarassing! (She was about 15 months old.)

Anonymous said...

My niece doesn't attack strangers she prefers family members, me being one of them. Here are a couple examples:
"Tiffie, you kind of have a big nose."

"Tiffie, Uncle JR has a FAT head." As I was explaining that his head is just larger then most he turned and looked at us and she reponded "See it's FAT!".

Anonymous said...

You have the MOST Hillarious stories! Kimball is such a cutie. We need to get together so we can truely see how big each others kids have gotten.

kelliej said...

I can't stop laughing! Every time I fart lately Ruby looks at me and smiles and says "da baby"...and I just nod and agree, "the baby's making noises isn't she?" Although, she came up with this completely on her own. So, basically, what I'm trying to tell you is...lie to your children, blame it on someone else.

Jessica said...

I haven't had any maren embaressments YET! Knock on wood! It is just a time bomb waiting to happen though. She is saying and understanding everything now. And everything is, "What that"?, or "What guys doing"?

Kari Howell said...

I also was at the grocery store, in line behind a woman and Ethan said, "She has a big bum". I tried to do as you did, and ignore it, but he thought I hadn't heard, so again,"That lady has a big bum huh mommy"- to which I tried to hush him silently, and he wasn't understanding, so I just looked away from him and hoped the situation would go away. Ya, I feel for you :)

Barbie said...

First of all, I love that you actually chose to share the 1st of those experiences. 1ou are awesome!
Ethan hasn't caused me as much embarrassment as Reese has up to this point though. Sorry Reese. Let's just say it wasn't something akin to your 1st experience, but my husband chose to say something. Dork!