Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Stasher

So Kimball has a new found obsession with gum and/or chapstick. I don't recall how he got that first piece of gum in his mouth but somehow, somewhere, he did. Erik and I both have random packs of gum and chapsticks in our nightstand drawers and lately whenever I hear stillness in my house for more than 1 minute, I know Kimball is up to something fishy. So I go quietly down the hall and peek into my room, just in time to find Kimball snooping through my drawer. The second he hears me he turns around and hurriedly shuts the drawer and then looks back at me with an innocent smile, as if I haven't just seen him doing this. Then I walk over to him and he will throw his clenched fist behind his back and continue to smile. Inevitably there is a chapstick or gum that was on it's way to being unwrapped. This whole scenario is a daily occurence. The chapstick isn't that big of a deal other than the fact that I will find these little nail marks where he has dug it out and who knows where it has been wiped. But the gum, it just seems weird to see my 1 year old chomping on gum, especially when the child has taken a personal interest in dental hygeine and cannot brush his teeth enough times in a day. He keeps tabs on the toothbrush drawer as well. Anyhow, the reason I share this with you as that I found some humor in his latest operations. Of course I confiscated all the gum within toddler reach and thought the issue had been resolved. Well lately, Kimball will just show up out of nowhere happily chomping on some gum. The first couple of times I thought daddy had given in to his child's pleadings and I let it go. However, it has been occuring more and more frequently and the gum is always green, even though I'm not consistent with which flavors I really buy. I have now realized that little Mr. cunning has made a secret stash of gum somewhere in this house, location unbeknown to Erik or me. It's probably in the same place that he disappears to when he has to get the job done if you know what I mean. Kimball is very particular about hiding in corners and other mysterious places when he has to fill his pants. Anyhow, I guess there could be worse things than gum, I find this whole thing kind of cute but yet a little scary that he's already hiding things from me at age 1!!

5 comments:

Kate, Brian and Hazel said...

Sooo funny, you gotta find that stash! I didn't think toddlers were capable of hoarding. Hazel has a little fetish for gum and chapstick too...it's that delicious mint flavor..who can resist. I have busted her numerous times getting into that drawer, except she eats chapstick. These two could cause some trouble together.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, the thought of Kimball sneaking around searching for gum is just too much, I haven't laughed this much in a while. He is so adorable!!

Jessica B said...

If only Jessica Seinfeld could hide vegetables in gum . . . now that would be genius!

Leslie and Dave said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie and Dave said...

Good thing is hair is so short so the gum can't get stuck in it!