Thursday, January 10, 2008

To go, or not to go, DARK

So I have been thinking about dying my hair dark for a couple of years now but the thought frightens me. I have friends like Brook, Lindsay, Becky and so on, that can change their hair color on what seems like a monthly basis and look amazing no matter what, even when it's drastic. Though my curiosity is ever stirring, I just don't know that I can pull it off. Everyone says, "No biggie, you can always change it back." If I understand correctly, it's not that easy. In fact, okay, I actually have had dark hair my sophomore year of college. Oh boy was that bad, and it took forever to become semi-presentable. I'm sure that brought on the foundation of my fears. But I also went to a pretty ghetto place and asked them to die it back to my normal color (after straight up bleaching it all) and it turned to a deep ashy gray. Plus, it was short. I don't do short very well. I'm actually surprised my boyfriend at that time didn't break up with me, I was really pretty hideous looking. He probably just cheated. Kidding. Anyhow, I think I'm getting closer to just sucking it up and going for it. I have recently been thinking maybe there was a hairstyle/color website and when I finally decided to look, I found this website within seconds. Ladies, you are going to have so much fun messing with this stupid thing. It's from instyle.com so it has all these celebrities hairstyles, kinda cheesy but whatever. I just chose some styles that covered up most of the hair on my face and then played around with their colorcharts, so the colors are not necessarily true to star. Anyhow, I have included a poll at the top of my blog for you all to vote on which color you think suits me well. And if none, leave a comment telling me not to do anything, leave as is, and then threaten to post a picture of that one horrible "gray" year. Oh, we didn't have digital then, phew! Have fun! And yes, it is late, and I am sacrificing precious sleep for a ridiculous vanity driven hair poll. You'll end up doing the same!








14 comments:

Tiffany said...

Denise- I totally understand the "go dark" dilemma, in fact I just discovered the instyle website myself and was totally playing around with it before I got my hair done on Tuesday. I would say go to someone you totally trust, go dark, but if you want to lighten up for the Summer you should just weave dark pieces in, it will be less traumatic to lighten it up in a few months. I ALMOST went a dark brown/black but my stylist recommened doing that in October, then I would have 6 months for it to lighten up before I started going blonde again. I too made the tragic mistake of dying my own hair a deep auburn/burgundy senior year of high school . I ended up having to chop 9 inches off, and the hairdresser stripped my hair to a bright orangey yellow. I vowed never to go dark again, but it's totally different if the colorist knows what they are doing. I say go for it! You'll look awesome either way. Plus, the dark will make your beautiful blue eyes POP! ;) Post pics!!!

Anonymous said...

Those pics are a hoot. But it does give me a good idea of what you would look like. And you know my opinion. Go DARK! I mean really you only live once and if you don't try it now when will you? I think it would look great with your skin color and eyes. I also think you are the type of person who could pull of any hair color because of both your great skin tone and eyes. I say go DARK. Just go to someone really good. I will go with if you need support;)

Leslie and Dave said...

I will have to dig up some of the grey pics and scan them! I totally remember the grey and the crazy summer. I'll have to study the pics a bit and ring in my vote.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Sunny said...

I don't know. I have to admit I"m not a huge fan of people who are naturally blonde with fair skin going dark. Often times it looks fake. HOWEVER, it could be totally pretty. YOu pretty much look good in anything you do. You're a natural babe. My vote is to maybe take it a little bit darker, but not too dark.

Jessica said...

I have to agree with sunny. But I do think you should for sure go a couple shades darker. It will be fun. you will love being a brunette!
PS. who is this weird CresceNet posting on our blogs? I decided to check out the link and it was in spanish or something.

Anonymous said...

Argh! Blogger won't let me leave my comment unless I'm "anonymous". Weird-anyway, Ines here-Don't forget your redhead phase! (Ooooh, I wish I had pictures!) Well, I might be the only nay-sayer here, but I love your beautiful blonde hair. If you dye it just a few shades darker it might not make the impact you want. And taking it too dark might be too much. I don't know, I also know what it's like to be sick of one look and want a change. Just think about it! ; )

Hartley Family said...

I love the pictures! Those are so funny! I think you could totally go darker! You are beautiful now matter what!

Denise said...

That's right Ines! I totally forgot when I did that weird red stuff that turned kinda orange. I can't remember what that was, didn't it wash right out? Who did it? I just remember we were over at Alexis's house and Julie M. called me Carrot top and I was so mad!! ha ha ha

Denise said...

That's right Ines! I totally forgot when I did that weird red stuff that turned kinda orange. I can't remember what that was, didn't it wash right out? Who did it? I just remember we were over at Alexis's house and Julie M. called me Carrot top and I was so mad!! ha ha ha

Anonymous said...

You did it yourself, and it was SUPPOSED to wash out but didn't. Linda was not happy!

Anonymous said...

Go dark! It will look pretty. Just tint your eyebrows a little darker too so it looks natural. And don't ever DRASTICALLY go back to blonde. If you don't like it, you will have to gradually go back to blonde by having it weaved in for your next few appointments. This way you avoid the bleaching and the gray scenario.

Chris, Erica, Avva, & Alle Kinnersley said...

I think you look beautiful Blonde, but if you want to go dark- do it. I want to cut my long hair in a bob- I think I might just buy a wig first and see if I like it.

Amber said...

You are so funny! I love your hair blonde, but I say go for it...(but not to dark). :)