Sunday, April 13, 2008

Evidently I'm cool, but not cool enough

We've all had those days where we waited in the most insane long line for something and the whole time we keep thinking, "should I just get out of the line, is it really worth it?" But the more time you invest in that line, the more you feel it more of a waste to not proceed forward. And there's always that satisfaction of looking behind you and seeing the line build, as there's nothing worse than being last. So there I was, in the parking lot of RC Wiley at 8:30 am on Saturday waiting in line among several thousand crazies like myself for a ridiculous shot at becoming a contestant on my favorite game show, Deal or no Deal. One of those totally weird days where you end up becoming friends by default with the most random people that you've zigzagged past 30 times in line and after a few hours you just can't ignore them anymore and you feel like you're in some weird twilight zone episode of survivor cause you never would have chosen to spend your entire Saturday with these people. And believe me, I could do a whole segment of posts just describing some of the most bizarre (and excruciatingly painful, at times) conversations I got roped into. I always think I'm such a people person until I walk away from an experience like that completely drained. I have confirmed that I have a stamp on my forehead (that just doesn't show up in the mirror) that says "please tell me your life story, I'm dying to hear it."

So after 6 and a half hours of purely delightful line waiting, there I was, ready to go blurt out my 20 seconds of "selling myself" to the casting directors. They put us in groups of 10 around a table and then after each person did a 20 second "pick me pick me" pitch they just said, "you, you and you please stay, everyone else can head out that door." Luckily I was one of those "yous" and then I went to wait in another line to go in a room where the supposed "higher up" casting directors sat waiting for us. I got thrown in another group of 10 to go and do the same thing. Well since my somewhat creative pitch worked the first time I figured I would spatter off the same thing since it was a different person judging me. Lo and behold, he sent away everyone from the table except for this dude from Wyoming, and me. He sat there looking over my application and scanning my answers to the questions and asked me what seemed like 101 questions. He seemed very intrigued and was laughing at nearly anything I said. I was thinking "holy crap I totally nailed this I'm so awesome" and then he shot me a big smile and shook my hand and said, "thanks so much Denise" and that was it. WHAT???!!!? I'm so confused! Where's my yellow slip? Rumor had it there are call backs on Tuesday night and the "yellow slip" is the golden ticket. I'm so bummed, the dude was loving me and we were totally jiving and then all of a sudden, bam, no slip for Denise. I saw him taking notes on my app as I walked out and now all I can do is wonder what in the crap this was all about. I'm still somewhat hopeful that NBC may just send a call my way sometime before January, cross your fingers!

Please leave comments if you have friends/family who had similar experiences, I'd especially like to know what callbacks was like for any of you who know someone that attends on Tuesday night.

10 comments:

Becky said...

If it makes you feel better, I tried out with an audition tape about 2 years ago and I was also denied!!!

Miriam Oh Painter said...

If it makes you feel any worse, I got on two of the three game shows I have tried out for in my lifetime...sorry denise! Did you smile and act really obnoxious? I wonder if you were obnoxious enough...You put in an awesome effort and you just kept with it! Good for you! let's hope they call back!

What was your pitch?

Denise said...

shut up Miriam, it's just cause....cause your Asian...that's why! :)

Miriam Oh Painter said...

you're pregnant. that trumps Asian any day.

Jessica said...

You crack me up. If you were on it, it would be the ONE and only time I would have watched except the time Nat had me watch it at her house!

Dani said...

D, I'm sorry it didn't work out. I sent in a video application to them once where I wrote this song about the show. It was a sweet song and I'm still waiting to hear back from them. That was a year and a half ago, but I'm still hopeful.-Tan Gita

Melissa said...

I think I also have that stamp on my head--if you figure out how to get it removed let me know! I love that you tried--you would have been a awesome contestant! Who would be your three guests?? Got my fingers crossed!

tiff said...

A co-workers wife tried out and she had the call back Tuesday night. She had to bring her whole "support" group with her so they could see how everyone would react to the questions. She is also pregnant and working that angle. She told them that if they called her back she would wait to announce what they are having on the tv show.

Hartley Family said...

Ohhh- sorry you didn't get a call back Denise! They're missing out! Good for you for trying though! No callback stories to relay, but I have a very similar 'waiting in line' experience when I decided to be a really nice wife and stand in line for hours to get Shane an iphone. Oh boy- that was interesting! I feel your pain!

f*bomb. said...

Ugh. It sounds like dating.

Yeah- and how could they not want the cute pregnant girl? Idiots! I'm blaming it on saturation of network television (and CNN) on Mormon characters.