Friday, June 6, 2008

My terrifying fascinating high (drug free)

Quiet, swift, and camouflauge. Simultaneously alluring and repelling. Fascinating and terrifying. An irony of sorts. For me, that of the snake has got to be one of the strangest creatures to inhabit Earth. So sinuous and unpredictable, they really send shivers up my spine. I've never pet one. I always curiously take a step closer only to find myself making awkward bouncy steps backward in the same direction while displaying an uncontrolled "post sour lemon" face. I then feel a dramatic speed increase in my blood flow, I guess one could call it....."a snake high"
Just when I think I'm more far than near to these slithery friends, my neighbor kids knocked on the door this afternoon to show off their great catch. He was just cruising through their front yard! Sick! There is a creek that runs behind the houses on a street perpendicular to us a few blocks away, right where our old house is and so I thought I was in the clear being on this end of the neighborhood. I guess tons of our neighbors have been spotting them in their yards over the past couple weeks and one kid accidentally mowed one into a hundred pieces! The funniest part of all about this little fellow though, was that Caroline had 3 brothers out there with her and somehow she was the bravest one to make the catch! That's Kimball's babysitter for ya, I know how to pick'em! After she'd been holding him awhile his jaw opened big and we all jumped back, he then barfed up a bunch of baby slugs, no joke, it was VERY nauseating! We were hoping Kimball would wake up from his nap to come take a look but the snake and his slug barf were beginning to gross us out. Needless to say we let him go, right back into the bridge by our house!

6 comments:

Tiffany said...

I'm with on the whole snake thing. I just have to say one word "SICK!". Oh and that's no garter snake, or if it is well then it's going to take out the entire slug population in your zip code.

Kate, Brian and Hazel said...

umm...did you have to mention the barfed up slugs??? I'm eating!
That is really creepy. I freak out when they start coiling them selves around your arm. Full on panic attack!

Anonymous said...

You were totally fascinated with that snake and repulsed all at the same time ,I cant believe caroline picked it up .I have never run so fast when it stuck its head out the bush , I nearly crushed Ethan lol.

Miriam Oh Painter said...

i hate snakes. I would rather sit on a knife than be face to face with a snake.

Becky said...

I'm not scared of snakes but SPIDERS? Don't even get me started.

Amanda said...

I hate snakes.