Sunday, June 22, 2008

Ryan Seacrest tears up the Wasatch Back

No, not the American Idol host, the team "Ryan Seacrest." I don't know, I didn't even ask. Anyway, months ago when Erik and I were propositioned by some family members to join a team in the Wasatch Back relay this year, we considered it but then declined for one reason or another. About a month ago, Erik's buddy in California called him up and asked him to jump on board their team and wouldn't take no for an answer. Erik decided out of the goodness of his heart he would do it for his friend. He really does not enjoy running, he loves sports and competition as most of you know but not just plain running. For those of you unfamiliar with the Wasatch Back, it's a relay race consisting of 12 individuals (mens, womens, and mixed) that run from Logan to Park City, Utah. 180.5 miles. It took them just over a full day and night. I believe there were 580 teams and they finished somewhere in the upper half. Each runner had 3 legs to run, some longer than others and some ranked higher in difficulty. They ran through beautiful country in and out of the mountains at all hours, Friday mid-day, into the night, and through the next morning and afternoon. They had 2 vans to follow course throughout the relay and would pitch their sleeping bags in parks or wherever along the way to catch a few zzz's. Now this is not really Erik's idea of fun but I think he enjoyed himself nonetheless. Being out there and seeing the teams come through the finish was so much fun and definitely gave me the buzz for the desire to do it next year when I'm not pregnant. Then I realized that with a 6 month old child, having to stop and "pump" every couple of hours sounds very un-fun. Either that or everyone would think I just "sweat" in really random places ;) So I guess I'll have to look forward to 2010! Anyhow, Erik's friend Erik Manning, who reeled my husband into doing this was kind enough to take a plethora of pictures so I could get a visual of their adventures, hence, I will post them even though I don't know much about what was going on. If any of you were out there racing please let me know how your experiences were, it seemed like such a fun adventure race!




Waiting for the hand off on his first (shortest distance and easiest) leg Friday evening













Embarking on second leg, roughly around 5:00am Saturday, 6 and a half miles at a moderate incline









Erik and some teammates crash who knows where in the middle of the day Saturday after running instead of sleeping the night before


I find this pic incredibly cute


Saturday afternoon, waiting/mentally preparing for his third and final leg. A grueling 3.6 miles. In the leg description it reads: "severe uphill climb through Wasatch Mountain State Park (gravel road)." He went from 5700 ft. elevation to 7300 ft. elevation. That's over a 1500 ft. gain in less than 4 miles? Sick!


That's my baby pushing up the hill and coming off strong. Though extremely tough, I'm sure he loved this one because there was a great element of challenge. Last year on his birthday I challenged him to run up to the "Y" with me and back down in less than 33 minutes in honor of his new age. We did it! And we had so much fun because somehow when you push yourself through hell and back, the reward seems much greater!

180.5 miles later....posing beyond the finish

Check out my daddy's medal!!!

8 comments:

Miriam Oh Painter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Miriam Oh Painter said...

woohoo! nice job! i think i want to do it next year! if erik can do it, i can do it. Go erik! i can't believe you did this!

Tim * Krista said...

Great job Erik, I am so impressed that you did this. D, it was so fun to see you on Saturday at the finish. let's just say I can't walk and I had to go to the doc's to get my toenail punctured. Good times.

kelliej said...

After watching thousands...ok, hundreds, of people come through the finish, it's really cool to see all the pics of them on the way. So true about the breast leakage, guess I will wait with you.

Dani said...

I ran that race a few years ago and had a blast! My best and favorite run was at 3:00 in the morning around the lake! I remember riding in the car up that hill cheering on our team mate! That was a steep hill! Ahh, so fun!

Melissa said...

I looked for Erik but never saw him. But I did look at the roster of team names and laugh when I saw "Ryan Seacrest". Funny! We were 120 toes. I loved it. I was super sick and sore right after but after a 13 hour nap:) I was back to myself. You must do it sometime, you love it and hate it!

Kate, Brian and Hazel said...

Crazy, i did it this year with some friends. It was fun and miserable at the same time. I was wondering who that "Ryan Seacrest" team was. It would be a blast to do it next year with a bunch of Utah State All-stars...hey, we had a girl on our team this year pumping too for her 4 month-old, it can be done! We could call our van the "Lactation Station". Thoughts??

Denise said...

Kate I would be SO up for that, I think we could fill a whole team of lactaters! Are you telling us something?