Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Pedi Phenomenon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsWrY77o77o

Can every female who has ever had a pedicure somewhere other than a day spa PLEASE click on the link above, it is so worth 4 minutes of your life, especially the end so you must hold out til the end........................okay, are you done? please tell me you are laughing with me. Because this Anjelah chic is so on, it's scary. I mean, this truly is the typical experience we all have when getting a pedi. I live in Utah, Anjelah lives who knows where but assuming somewhere in Cali, UNREAL how a culture just breeds uniformity, including how to run a nail salon.
Let me tell you a little bit about my fight a couple of months back with, let's call her, Trinh. Despite my obsession with Asians, yes, I can still get angry with them. And some of you have mentioned in the past how great it must be that my Mandarin can aid in spying on them at these nail salons...Newsbreak, they are all Vietnamese! So I sit down and before I can tell "Trinh" that my water is too hot, she has chucked a photo book in my lap filled with pages of her most acclaimed work. "You wan flou-wuh? You pick which flou-wuh you lie, los of kine; reh, ping, oring, brow, I do any kuh-luh." "No flowers, just plain color, thanks." "You shoe-uh? I have los diffin kine." "No really, that's okay." Feeling rejected, she hurriedly files and trims away, I turn the magazine page, and before I know it, she is already painting my second foot and I HATE the color. I realize I just can't get away with light blue like I could at 19. I get Sunny's attention (my sis in law who's across the room being pedi'd) and give her a scared look while mouthing "what should I do?" She motions with an insistent look of telling the lady I don't like it. So I very timidly and apologetically let her know that I've decided that won't be the best color. This is when all hell breaks loose. She looks at me, "this nah my kuh-luh, this yo kuh-luh." Well, no, I didn't bring this color, it's yours but I realize I've made a mistake in my choice of color." "Fie, you go pick nutha kuh-luh, nes time you tell me aftuh one toe, nah on secun foot!" At this point I am so scared I just grab the first decent looking red I see on the shelf and run back to my seat. I look down and her veins in her neck had bulged and surfaced toward the skin, not to mention the one splitting up her forehead. My pits began sweating out of total discomfort. She started rubbing off the blue polish and suddenly the Vietnamese came flowing, and it came fast. Then the other workers started piping in like windchimes in a storm and I just couldn't take it. I saw Sunny kind of snickering and trying to hold in the laughter. In an effort to relieve myself and make Sunny break composure, I yelled at the lady to stop talking about me. Without heed to my request, they continuted to yap away. I didn't even care, I felt invigorated for calling her on it and the fact that Sunny was dying laughing made it all worth it!

7 comments:

Sunny said...

OK, I have tears in my eyes just remembering that experience! I wish everyone reading this post could know how funny it was. You were so nice and she was NOT! And when you turned to her and said, "And DON'T talk about me", I lost it. The reason I was laughing so hard is probably because I think we all have wanted to get mad at them sometime and haven't dared. For the first time, the pedicure-ees (us), scored a point when usually we have to just sit there and take it. The You Tube clip was awesome! There's so much more she could add. (Like how there always seems to be a little boy around age 7 that belongs to the owners and his day care is in the nail salon. He's there all the time trying to kill time and earn his keep by filling the bath's and translating the English to his parents.) Thanks for the laugh!

Melissa said...

It feels great to get a pedi--knowing that your toes are cute and clean. But the trade for such cute toes is repeating yourself 5 times, nodding with a half smile cause you have NO idea what is being said (even when they talk louder and slower)and reading a gossip magazine that came out July of 2005

Leslie and Dave said...

Angela and I am sitting here dying laughing. The sketch is your story to a T. We can all relate. I read your story outload to Ang and even did the voice.

Les & Ang

The Bacigalupi's said...

This is great Denise, too funny. Cort and I couldn't stop laughing because of how right on it was. Hope your doing well.

Hartley Family said...

I'm DYING! That is hilarious and EXACTLY how it is!

Anonymous said...

Sunny keeps asking me to read this and finally I took the time. Oh, so funny! Only you could write it in a way that paints the picture so well. ~Ilene Palmer~

You have such a cute boy

Anonymous said...

Sunny keeps asking me to read this and finally I took the time. Oh, so funny! Only you could write it in a way that paints the picture so well. ~Ilene Palmer~

You have such a cute boy